Monday, February 25, 2008

Giving up the drink .........

'Hi my name is Dave and it has been 6months since my last soft drink.'



It's true! On the 1st September 2007 I gave up drinking soft drink and I have not had one since. It started out as something to keep healthy and now I can't go back. Initially, It was a real battle and now temptations come in intermittently, especially when I'm tired and really want a Coke hit.

There is a similarity between giving up the 'drink' and sin. We as Christians have given up or to use Romans language, 'died' to sin. However, it is a constant battle to stay sober from sin. Temptation hits us when we are tired and frustrated and really want a hit of good old sin. However, it is in these times that we can recall Tit 2:6,

Likewise, urge the younger men to be self-controlled.



The word 'self-control' is about thinking sensibly, about being wise and thinking who we are in Christ before 'losing control'. It sounds easy but we all know that giving up sin is a lifelong struggle and has more allure than a can of coke (even with their powerful marketing campaigns! Yes, i am aware that it is the real thing!). Combating this allure is to remember that sin has been overcome as 1Jn 2:14 says,

I write to you, fathers, because you have known him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God lives in you, and you have overcome the evil one.







No comments: